Self-Introduction letter

 

Subject: Self-introduction email

Dear Professor Blackstone

I am writing this email in hoping for you to get to know me better. My name is Muhammad Dzuhair, but you may address me as Dzu, as you always do. I graduated with a diploma in civil engineering at Singapore Polytechnic and currently pursuing a bachelor’s of the same course at Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). When I was young, I was always intrigued by the majestic buildings and fascinating skyscrapers located at the central district area. My interest in engineering grew even more when I realized it pays the bill. As a person I am pragmatic. Having this personality trait aids me greatly in my course of study because engineering has a straight-forward and methodical approach.

In terms of communication strengths, I am loud and a confident speaker. During my national service, I served as a firefighting officer and I am responsible for a group of men under my command. As a leader, it is detrimental for me to project my voice and be confident in giving commands to earn the respect of my men. I have become more vocal after my two years stint in Singapore Civil Defense Force. However, I stutter sometimes. This is one of my communication weakness.

My goals in this module are to be an eloquent speaker and a captivator through communicating effectively. If I can achieve my goals, I believe I can lead with pride and galvanize a group under my guidance to success. Humbly speaking, with my built, it helps. I look forward to learning more about communicating effectively and refine my English academic and technical communication skills for the success in both the university and my future workplace.

Warmest regards

Dzuhair

Comments

  1. Thanks for posting your letter, Dzu. I look forward to reading it and also reading the comments of your peers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dzu, thanks for posting your letter! Generally, I like that it is very clear and straight to the point. There is no grammatical errors and I like it that how you used big bombastic words too. Well done in being an officer in the SCDF, I am sure you will lead your men even better in the future. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi pinkiat,

      Thanks for your comment! Im sure there’s room for me to improve!

      Regards,
      Dzu

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dzu,

    Thank you for this fluent, detailed introductory letter. You cover the parameters of the assignment well and illustrate with clear examples and explanations, so much so that it is quite informative. I’m particularly impressed by the example of you being a firefighter in NS and how that experience put certain requirements on you in terms of skills and needs.

    You do a good job of developing each of the segments in this post clearly and concisely. I’m also impressed that you want to be a person who can lead through effective communication. I hope to see that effort throughout the term.

    With regard to language use, this is a fluent letter, but do take note of these points:

    -- I served as a firefighting officer and I am responsible... > (verb tense inconsistency) ?
    -- As a leader, it is detrimental for me to project my voice and be confident in giving commands to earn the respect of my men. > (wrong word/tense)
    As a leader, it was essential for me to project my voice and be confident in giving commands to earn the respect of my men.
    -- one of my communication weakness. > (one of many) ?
    -- with my built, > (spelling) ?
    -- look forward to learning more about communicating effectively and refine my English academic ... > (lack of parallel structure)
    look forward to learning more about communicating effectively and refining my English academic ....

    I look forward to seeing how you can refine this letter, and to working with you during the term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor Brad,

      Thank you for reading my letter. I value your feedback and I will make the necessary amendments to further improve my letter. Have a good day prof!

      Cheers,
      Dzuhair

      Delete
  5. Hi Dzu, thank you for introducing yourself in the email. It is concise and concrete where you gave examples of how your communication skills are exhibited.

    Here are some areas I noted:-

    1. As a person I am pragmatic. --> Be careful about the punctuation marks, whether it should be full stop or comma

    2. look forward to learning more about communicating effectively and refine my English academic --> refine could be changed to refining

    Other than i think is alright, and great job for the introduction.

    2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi junjie,

      Thank you for your feedback. I will take note.

      Cheers,
      Dzuhair

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of communication skills in engineering

Summary Draft 1 : Clean Energy Transition