Critical Reflection

 Module learning 

I started this module with two goals in mind – to be an eloquent speaker and a captivator through communicating. But today, I am thankful that I have achieved more than what I can ask for. Valuable communication skills that were addressed during the 13 weeks of this module enable me to be more confident in oral presentation and proficient in written communication. 

One such skill that was imperative in my learning journey as an undergraduate student is using the correct academic citation skills. In this module, I was taught to use the American Psychology Association (APA) citation style. It has strengthened my understanding of the nature and scope of plagiarism. Moreover, the online resources provided by Professor Blackstone were comprehensive and clear. The lessons delivered by Professor Blackstone and the resources provided allows me to cite sources accurately to prevent committing plagiarism. This invaluable skillset will undeniably aid my academic and report writing for my remaining years of university. 

Project learning

For the research project, I was appointed the leader to lead a team of four members and find a proposed solution for an existing engineering problem. Our topic was incorporating a WiFi router into an underground construction tunnel for better communication between workers working underground and above ground. The main takeaway from this project is being able to present well and pitch my idea confidently. As a presenter, our delivery of the presentation has to be persuasive and captivating so it will leave an impression on our audience. This has been my weakness, back in Singapore Polytechnic. 

However, by using the resources given in the instructional units, such as the assertion-evidence approach, I can deliver the pitch fluently with little to no mistake.  This approach means building the presentation on messages, and not phrase topics. Moreover, those messages were supported by visual evidence rather than bulleted lists. I’ve managed to capture the audience's attention by keeping eye contact with them and using hand gestures to direct them to my presentation slides. Such a useful approach will allow me to present better soon especially in delivering my presentation during the capstone project. 

I would like to thank Professor Brad for his guidance as well as his expertise, for creating such an enjoyable learning experience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self-Introduction letter

The importance of communication skills in engineering

Draft 3: Summary Reader Response